Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

I worked with a guy at an office years back that made the most fantastic Pumpkin Bread. He would bring it in and us girls would attack it until it was gone! I got his recipe and then I had to lay off eating it because it was SO high in Sugar and Fat. I have taken that recipe and made it my own by working on it through the years. While it still has a bit of sugar, I have cut it substantially, and replaced most of it with Honey. Half the fat has been replaced by applesauce and the remaining was replaced with the ultra good for you Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.


This recipe will make 2 regular size loaves, or 3 medium sized loaves from the smaller (not mini) aluminum disposable pans.


Ingredients:


1 Cup Oat Flour (I grind Oatmeal in my food processor to make one cup semi-fine flour)
1 1/4 cups 100%-Whole-White-Wheat-Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Cloves
1/4 tsp. Ginger


1 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Extra-Virgin-Coconut-Oil
1/2 cup Natural Applesauce
4 Eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1- 15oz can Pumpkin (or about 2 cups)


Preheat oven to 350.
In a medium-small bowl, mix first 9 ingredients with a whisk (Oat Flour through Ginger); set aside. In a large bowl, beat with a wooden spoon; Brown Sugar, Oil, Applesauce, Eggs, Honey and Granulated Sugar until smooth. Beat in Pumpkin. Gently stir in flour mixture just until moistened.

Pour batter evenly into baking pans and bake 50-60 minutes for 2 regular sized loaves OR 40-50 minutes for 3 smaller sized loaves.
Cool 10 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and cool completely on cooling rack.


This snack is fantastic at anytime of the day!
Happy Baking!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Hi, Kathy! I absolutely love to cook and am enjoying your cooking blog. That pumpkin bread sounds good; I might have to consider useing some of my newly bought pumpkin on it instead of all on pie. ; )

Robert Sagor said...

This sounds really good! I have been wanting to make some pumpkin bread for a while!

Related Posts with Thumbnails