Friday, October 9, 2009

Two Bean and Brown Rice Stew

I came up with this last night for dinner. It's healthy, hearty, satisfying and Delicious!!!

NOTE: I always look for low-sodium or organic products when I can, keep that in mind when purchasing ingredients.
1 cup Brown Basmati Rice
3 cups Chicken Broth (Wolfgang Puck Organics is a good choice)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion (vidalia is my favorite)
4 minced garlic cloves
ground turmeric
Chipotle Chili Powder
Dried Basil (or fresh is always a better choice)
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup bell pepper (any color) chopped
1 can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
1/4 cup sweet red wine
6 oz low-salt V-8 juice
1 can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can Great Northern Beans (drained and rinsed)
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground pepper
Toppings:
Shredded cheese (I used Mozzerella)
Crushed Tortilla Chips (Not Fritos)
Chopped Avocado (optional)
Cook the rice according to the directions, however substitute the water for 2 cups chicken broth + 1/2 cup water. While rice is cooking, begin stew.
Saute Onion and Garlic over med-high heat in a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil, until tender. Add wine and simmer until reduced by 1/2. Add carrotts and peppers, saute 3 minutes.
Add seasonings and stir well (I suggest 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1/8 tsp chipotle powder and 3/4 tsp basil). Add V-8, canned tomatoes and 1/2 -1 cup chicken broth.
Puree 1/2 of each type of beans until smooth; stir puree and whole beans into stew. Add just a pinch of Kosher salt and frsh ground peppercorns.
Simmer covered, until the rice is done. Add 2 cups rice to stew and continue to simmer until carrots are just crisp tender ~ the entire cooking time should be about 1 hour from start to finish.
Serve topped with a little shredded cheese, a couple of crushed tortilla chips and (if desired) chopped avocado). This is hearty and filling, so you won't want to eat TOO much! I served these with Biscuits ~ I made them with Whole Wheat Flour, and added about 1 tsp. caraway seeds. Enjoy!
For nutrition info regarding Turmeric, Beans and Brown Rice, check this out...The Low Down.
Get out your wooden spoon and whip up some stew!

2 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Looks like my kind of food! Yum.

Apron Senorita said...

Hello, this is Yoli. I want to sincerely thank you for recently posting comment on my old blog, Apron of the Month Club. Your words of faith and encouragement are very special to me especially with our sudden relocation news and increased stress.

The company I work for is relocating my job to a new city by January 1st. I also co-own an online boutique with my sister Jessica, and we have decided to professionally seek solo creative directions. So, I am opening up a new online boutique and new blog. I look forward to God opening new doors. My kids and are excited about new adventures.

Please know that I read each and every comment you post. They are my inspiration and confirmation of God’s love. Please add me to your list of blogs that you follow.

God Bless You!
Yoli
http://apronsenorita.blogspot.com/
www.apronsenorita.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails