Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cinnamon Coffee Cake - Better for you!



Who doesn't love a sweet bread in the morning every now and again?  Yum!  However, I don't want all that pasty white flour and sugar sitting in my tummy, so I worked up an alternative to the traditional coffee cake.  It's moist, lightly sweet and has a nice nutty flavor, in addition it's made with 100% Whole Wheat, and a bit of honey (except for the topping!).

Ingredients:

1/2 C. skim milk
1/4 C. extra virgin coconut oil
1 egg
1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 C. honey
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Topping:
1/2 C. packed brown sugar (or Sucanet)
1/2 chopped walnuts or pecans
1 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. Butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375, lightly butter a square baking dish.
In a bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, egg and honey.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Stir the dry mix into the milk mixture just until combined.  Spread into buttered baking dish.
In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients until moist.  Spread over top of batter.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick.  Cool slightly on a rack and enjoy!

Tips and Info:

What's all the hype about Coconut Oil?

What type of Whole Wheat flour is best?  From my experience with flours, King Arthur White Whole Wheat is the BEST by a long shot.

Why should I use honey instead of sugar?  There are MANY reasons! :)

6 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Recipe looks yummy. I've tried the King Arthur WW flour and have to agree, it is wonderful!

Sherry said...

Oh, yum! I'm going to have to try this one!

Alicia said...

That sounds delicious! I love coffee cakes! And can you believe I have NEVER heard of Coconut Oil! Do they sell that at the local supermarket, or would I have to go to a specialty store?

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates said...

So yummy!! You did a great job on that recipe! I simply *must* make it! :)

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates said...

Just had to tell you, since I had all ingredients on hand - I made it this morning to take to a ladies' Bible study. They loved it! And I think it is DELICIOUS!! Thank you so much for a little healthier yumminess! :)

Sherry said...

Made this last week! IT is delish!! I used whole wheat pastry flour.

Have you tried whole wheat pastry flour?

Related Posts with Thumbnails