Friday, May 14, 2010

Mammo's Authentic Mexican Indian Rice

My Great Great Grandmother was a Mexican Indian.  She married my Great Great Grandfather who was from Seville, Spain and came to Mexico in the 1700's.  Mammo was my Great Grandmother, their daughter, my Dad's Grandmother (shown being held by her Father in this photo).


My sister, by far, makes Mammo's rice perfectly.  However, when she shared with me the "secret recipe", I was shocked to find how incredibly simple and easy it was to make.  I love the flavor and the simplicity of this rice!

NOTE:  I almost always eat brown rice, but when it comes to making perfect mexican rice, you really do need to use white. :)  Also, I don't measure with this recipe, so everything (except the rice) is 'guessed'.

Mammo's Authentic Mexican Indian Rice

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 a sweet yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno (pithed and seeded), chopped finely
1 C. White Rice (I use Jasmine)
1/3 C. Fidello (short spagetti like noodles)...if you can't find them in your grocery store, just use thin spagetti broken into 1 inch pieces ~ that's what I have to do :(
1 1/2 C. Chicken, Beef, or Vegetable Broth
3/4 C. tomato sauce
pinch Kosher salt
pinch fresh ground pepper
dash turmeric

Heat a little olive oil (not too much!) over med-high heat; add onion and jalapenos to saute...


After 1-2 minutes, add Fidello (or spagetti...*sigh*)...

Add rice...

Contine to stir until you see the past and rice begin to lightly brown...

Add broth, tomato sauce and seasonings, stir and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover rice and let cook at a gentle simmer for 20 minutes.  It is done when all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.  If the rice is NOT tender and the liquid is gone, add a little bit more broth and cook longer.

I like to serve this rice with Taco Rolls and spinach salad.

2 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Ohhh! These and the taco rolls look super. I'm copying and trying your recipes!

Loren said...

I just found this cooking blog!! Why I didn't know you had one, is beyond me!! I just sat here reading the recipes to my DH (the better cook in our home) and he is ready to go get the ingredients! :) The rice and tacos sound diving....u need to pray for me on the salad part though! LOL

I will let you know how it goes!! Love you blog! and you!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails