Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Quick N Easy Chicken Noodle Soup


I like to use organic when I can, but you can use whatever you have on hand. This recipe is quick and easy, I went from staring blankly into the pantry to dipping my fresh homemade biscuits in this soup in under 45 minutes.


Ingredients:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic minced (or use a garlic press)
2-4 carrots sliced (depends on their size)
2 stalks celery sliced
1 can diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 box Organic Chicken Broth
1 can cooked chicken breast meat
Basil
Marjoram
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 Pkg. Rice Pasta (I went with fun animal shapes, 'cause that's just the way I am)

Fill a medium saucepan with water and set to boil (for pasta).  When it boils, add pasta and cook for about 8 minutes, or until Al Dente.  Rinse with cold water in a colander and set aside, covered.

In a large saucepan, heat some extra virgin olive oil over med-high heat (about 1-2 Tbsp).  Add chopped onion and garlic, if it seems too hot, turn it down so it sautes nicely.  After about 2 minutes, add chopped celery and carrot.  Sprinkle with a little bit of Basil, Marjoram, Salt and Pepper.  Saute 3 minutes.  Dump in the can of Fire roasted tomatoes.  Fill the can once with water and add to the pot.  Stir in the entire box of chicken broth and add a little more salt if you want to (I did).  Break up the canned chicken and add to the pot.

Let this simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or however long it takes for you to make up a quick batch of biscuit dough for dippin' in that soup.  Add noodles to pot and simmer another 5-10 minutes, or however long it takes for your biscuits to cook.

If you want, you can sprinkle this with grated parmesan.  I did not do this, but I kept dreaming about it during dinner, so I think it needs to happen. :)

Serve with a nice salad on the side and warm yourself from the inside out!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails