Friday, November 5, 2010

Crispy Crusted Tilapia

I don't like fish....usually.

I found this recipe several years in a mailer and it is one of 2 recipes that get me eating fish...it's really delicious, and guaranteed to please even the non-fish-eater.

It's supposed to serve 4 people, but I make it with 2 pieces of fish because I like to eat a lot of the veggies and crumbs. :)


For easy cleanup, I like to lay parchment paper on the baking sheet.  Spread the veggie mixture in a nice layer big enough that the fish will fit on top.


Lay the fish on top of the veggies.

Sprinkle with freshly ground Pepper and Salt.

Mix up the cheesy, crackery, tasty bread crumb mixture, and stir in the melted butter ~ yum...butter!

Pat the crumbs all over the top of the fish.

If you are like me, you'll use every last crumb.

I'm gonna make some cheesy biscuits to go with this meal, so mix up some drop biscuits in a bowl.  Be sure to add plenty of shredded cheese!

I made half a batch, so I could share a cookie sheet with my fishy friends.  No rolling and cutting needed, just plop the dough right on the parchment.

Note, since they bake at the same temperature, but for different times, I used 2 separate pieces of parchment.  This allows me to slide the biscuits out when they are done. 
Now, pop the pan in the 450 degree oven....

...and do the dishes while it's cookin'...ugh!

When the biscuits are done, use a small flat cookies sheet to slide that parchment out of the oven.  Keep them warm, 'cause you still have 13 minutes to go!

Slide the fish parchment to center it for even cooking.

The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.  For these thickish Tilapia and the veggie and crumb layers, it took 25 minutes.

Serve this with a nice spinach salad and a lemon wedge.

Look at the lovely layering....oh so delicious! 

Crispy Crusted Tilapia

Serves: 2-4

1 cup chopped seeded tomato
1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion (or thin sliced leeks...I prefer onion)
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2-4 Tilapia Fillets (boned and skinned) - or other firm white fish
1/2 coarse bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 crushed plain ruffles potato chips
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/8 tsp. Cayenne
2 Tbsp. melted butter
Lemon Wedges (optional)

Preheat oven to 450.
Combine first 4 ingredients and spread on baking sheet.  Arrange fillets on top of veggies and season with salt and pepper.  Combine crumbs and next 4 ingredients; toss with melted butter.  Press crumb mixture on top of fish. 

Bake 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Serve with lemon wedges.

1 comment:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I'd let you make me that for lunch one day if you wanted too. LOL! Just kidding. That's a lot of work for just little ol' me!
But it does look yummy and you know we LOVE fish in our house.

Love you my BFF!

Related Posts with Thumbnails