Monday, May 12, 2014

Mexican Shepherds Pie






We are in the middle of getting carpet in two of our rooms, so the contents of the craft room/office and our spare room have splayed themselves all over the living room and dining room. To say the least, I ws un-inspired to make dinner.

However, I did promise my hunky man that there would be a meal waiting when he arrived home from work, sooooo...I went diggin around in the pantry and fridge and came up with this.

It's quick n' easy, you can add "whatever", and it tastes pretty good to boot! For lack of a better name, I felt it should be called "Mexican Shepherds Pie"...are there Shepherds in Mexico?




What you'll need
(give or take)

1 can refried beans
(I used a can of pinto beans, drained and mashed with a little olive oil)

Sauteed or steamed veggies
(I sauteed onions and green bell peppers wit the seasonings)

sprinkle of each: cumin, garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper
1-2 cups chopped cooked chicken
(I used 2 breast halves, but you could omit or use beef or turkey)
1 small jar salsa
(I used Newmans Own chunky)

Shredded Mexican Cheese
Biscuit dough
(I made my own, but you could use store bought if you prefer)

Heat oven to 450. Rub a 9x9 casserole dish with olive oil. Spread beans over bottom, spread veggies on top of beans. Sprinkle with seasonings. Spread chicken bits over that, then pour salsa over chicken. Sprinkle WELL with cheese, then dollop biscuit dough all over and sprinkle with a little more cheese (this is NOT one of my light recipes, lol).

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and biscuits are brown.

Hint: If you start with everything hot (freshly cooked chicken and veggies), it'll be ready in about 13 minutes.

Add-in Ideas: How about rice? (I didn't have any cooked rice hangin' around), corn? (Yum, didn't have that either). Green beans? Top with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream? I didn't want to go there, lol.

It don't look purty, but it sure was tasty!




I served it with Organic Blue Corn tortilla chips.


Grab a dish and whoop this up for dinner! :)







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails