Monday, July 28, 2014

Recipe Review ~ Penne with Spinach Bechamel ~ Forks over Knives

I received my Forks over Knives cookbook in the mail today, and was really excited to begin trying out the recipes.  While I don't have any current intention to cut out all meats and dairy, I do like to incorporate a few healthy meatless mains throughout the week.  

I snuggled onto my couch and began to flip through the pages, reading through several recipes, until one in particular struck me as something I could make tonight.  I had all the ingredients on hand and just reading these recipes was making me hungry!



I chose "Penne with Spinach Bechamel"



The Bechamel itself is made from pureed cauliflower and I'm a big fan of using cauliflower in versatile ways, so I was game to try this one out.


The sauce came together very easily and quickly, and tasted really good.  I was hesitant to add the nutmeg, as that always makes me think of pumpkin pie, but it was perfect.  Being the rebel that I am, I tossed in 1/8 C. leftover shredded Parmesan just because I wanted the space in my cheese drawer and I thought....how could that not be a good thing???


The onions were sauteed in just a few Tbsp. of water and didn't stick my stainless steel pan at all, nice!  After tossing in the herbs, the scent was really fragrant and delightful.


Instead of "pre-cooking" the chopped spinach, I tossed it in the warm pan with my cooked pasta and covered with a lid for a few minutes to wilt it.


Once I put everything together, I served it up (I had made a half recipe, which in my opinion would be 3 servings).  It was placed on the table with some garlic bread and dinner was served.


I enjoyed it, really, ...  a lot.  It kind of grew on me as we ate and I had decided by the end of the meal that I liked it quite a bit.  The herbal taste was really fantastic, and the "Bechamel" was delicious!  


The problem?  


My Honey was not quite smitten with it.  He is the kind of man who will lovingly and uncomplainingly eat anything I put in front of him.  AND he tells me I'm the best cook in the whole wide world.  However, I asked for his "total, honest opinion" of this dish, and I got it.  He would be happy if it was never put on his plate again.  :)  He thought the "sauce" was mashed potatoes and once I told him it was cauliflower it kind of messed with his head. :)  The chopped up spinach didn't do much for him either.  


So, what is the end verdict?  I would make it again for myself....but it wouldn't be on the TOP of my list.  I won't make this again for the two of us though, there are plenty of other fish in the sea of dinner. ;)





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails