Friday, July 30, 2010

Mammo's Gingerbread

The smell of this baking, or fresh out of the oven reminds me of my Grandma Ewing's house.  

It seemed like she always had a pan of fresh baked Gingerbread cooling on a rack when I came over.  She learned how to make it from her Mother, whom our family called Mammo (Ma-Moe). When my Grandma passed away, the item I received from her belongings was a small wooden recipe box with hand written recipes.  


I came across her recipe, titled Mammo's Gingerbread.  I had to work through some of the ingredients and instructions in order to make it workable for me,  but this tastes exactly like I remember it!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...





Mammo's Gingerbread


1/4 C. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

1/3 C. sugar
1 egg
1/3 C. molasses
1 1/2 C. flour
1 1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3 C. buttermilk (OR 3/4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, plus milk to make 2/3 C)

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan.


In a medium bowl, whisk together Flour, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.  In a mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg and molasses and beat well.


Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture.  Mix on low, just until blended.


Pour into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean (a few tiny moist crumbs are ok).


Delicious warm or room temperature.  But I REALLY like it with freshly whipped cream!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails